[389-users] Support for apple OS X schema?

Paul Robert Marino prmarino1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 23:57:54 UTC 2013

its been a long time since I played with this but generally you can
exclude the apple version of the field, because if its not included in
the mapping on the Apple client then the client will ignore it.
I did this back in 2002 with a SuSE Open Exchange server running
OpenLDAP and ran into more conflicts than you did. The trick is you
need to make a custom mapping on the clients. there is an XML file for
each of the standard templates. You can Apple directory template as a
start to write your own template, but I cant remember the names of
them off the top of my head.
As far as the fields be warned just because you have the fields
doesn't mean the admin tools will work out of the box, most of them
will not function with a non apple directory server, however they are
fairly easy to generate. most of the apple policy fields contain
base64 encoded XML files. also those XML files can contain fields with
more base64 encoded XML files. What I use to do is generate examples
and on local workstations, dump the local database via the command
line tools, and write template driven scripts to generate custom LDIF
based on what I revere engineered from them.

Ill look at some of my old external hard drives this weekend. I may
have copies of some of the scripts or some of my old notes on the
subject on one of them assuming they still spin up.

Oh and on Redhat like versions of linux there are several tools to
generate uuids like the uuid command and the uuidgen command. the
question is does apple leave them raw or or encode them as base64. I
havent looked at thier implementations for nearly a decade but they
use to be overly base64 happy.