[389-users] confused about how to create nsslapd backends

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jan 14 23:07:38 UTC 2013

On 01/14/2013 03:53 PM, Jon Detert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have 3 root-suffixes served by 1 instance of slapd in fedora-ds v1.0.4 :
>       dc=example,dc=com
>       o=example.com
>       o=NetscapeRoot
>
> I'm trying to import them into an instance of 389-ds v1.2.10, but I can only get the 1st one imported.  This is how I did that:
>
> 1) run 'setup-ds' for dc=example,dc=com
> 2) import the dumped ldif for that root-suffix by runnint this: 'ldapmodify -h localhost -cax -S ~/import.errors -D "cn=directory manager" -W -f ~/dc-example-dc-com.ldif
>
> To create the next 2 root-suffixes, I assumed I should not run setup-ds again, because I don't want another slapd instance.  Instead, I try to create them with like this (leaving the last out for brevity):
1) You can create them all using setup - use the ConfigFile directive:
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Installation_Guide/Advanced_Configuration-Silent.html#Using-ConfigFile-for-DS-Config

1.a) copy/paste the contents of
/usr/share/dirsrv/data/template-suffix-db.ldif and edit it - replace
%ds_suffix% with your suffix DN, and replace %ds_bename% with the
database name e.g. ihcComRoot

1.b) setup-ds.pl ..... slapd.ConfigFile=/path/to/file.ldif

you can also feed that file into ldapmodify