[389-users] How do I restrict groups

Michael Lang michael.lang at CTBTO.ORG
Wed Jul 10 05:54:47 UTC 2013

On 07/09/2013 10:07 PM, Mark Reynolds wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> What exactly do mean restrict the number of users/groups?  Like a size
> limit, or you want to restrict particular users/groups that the client
> can see?
>
> If you want to restrict particular entries then you should use access
> control - as long as your client is not binding as the root
> DN(cn=directory manager):
>
> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/Managing_Access_Control.html

Andy,

I would use "Views" to do so. They are compared to like a filter
(without specifying the on the client) but mandatory to authenticate (as
you would like to limit the base what they can see). There for you would
add some unique identification for your objects (eq. nsrole:
cn=myApplicationName,dc=example,dc=com of course you can have multiple ones)
then you create an object like

dn: ou=MyView,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: nsview
objectClass: organizationalUnit
ou: MyView
nsviewfilter: (nsrole=cn=myApplication,...)

and restrict the DN's your clients authenticating against your Directory
to this view only ...

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/using-views.html

regards
mIke