[389-users] dual change log entry with retro changelog plugin

Vincent Gerris vgerris at gmail.com
Fri May 24 13:21:35 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I think I found it, it seems a bug to me.
With audit logging enabled, I noticed a difference in output in the
output log when changing for example a fax field or the password.
I also noticed that this is also reproducible with the 389 admin GUI.
What I see for example with  changing a fax number is:

time: 20130524143610
dn: uid=********,ou=********,o=*********
changetype: modify
replace: telephoneNumber
telephoneNumber: 1234
-
replace: modifiersname
modifiersname: uid=admin,ou=administrators,ou=topologymanagement,o=netscaperoot
-
replace: modifytimestamp
modifytimestamp: 20130524123610Z
-

When ANY modification is made where the password field is modified, I
see something like this:

time: 20130524141847
dn: uid=********,ou=********,o=*********
changetype: modify
delete: preferredLanguage
-
replace: userPassword
userPassword::somelongthingjhere*********************************************************
 =
-
replace: modifiersname
modifiersname: uid=admin,ou=administrators,ou=topologymanagement,o=netscaperoot
-
replace: modifytimestamp
modifytimestamp: 20130524121847Z
-

time: 20130524141847
dn: uid=********,ou=********,o=*********
changetype: modify
replace: passwordgraceusertime
passwordgraceusertime: 0
-

Note the extra time: entry.
Apparently, this extra time enty triggers the creation of the extra
changelog entry.
I looked on the old iPlanet server, when a password is changed there,
there is no second time entry.

Can anyone check this on a recent 389 or RH DS?

kind regards,
Vincent

>>> 389-users at lists.fedoraproject.org