[389-users] 1.2.11.29 prediction?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Apr 3 15:13:17 UTC 2014

On 04/03/2014 08:53 AM, Michael Gettes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recognize 389 is a community project and asking for timelines can be problematic.  Right now, I am sorta stuck between a rock and a hard place.  In production, I am on 1.2.11.15 which has problems that are fixed by 1.2.11.28.  I have 1.2.11.28 in test and fixes all my prod problems but introduces a new problem which makes it rather difficult to manage the environment and it would appear this will be corrected in 1.2.11.29.

What is the new problem?

Note that for EL6, you should really use the version provided by the
OS.  The "epel6" packages are really for "bleeding edge" testing of new
features/patches.  However, if there is some feature in the "epel6"
packages that you require, that is not in the OS packages, then I guess
you'll just have to keep using the "epel6" packages indefinitely.

> So, I am a little curious as to when we might see 29.  I do see on the roadmap 29 has 4 closed and 5 active but no date set.
>
> I’m wondering if anyone would want to out on a limb and guesstimate - are we thinking days or a couple of weeks or several weeks or any estimate would be so appreciated.  No, I will not hold anyone to anything - I can’t.  I’m just trying to gauge things for internal planning estimates recognizing I have no control over this process.  (yeah, i know, so why bother?  cuz, i have to try).
>
> Lastly, although I am on RHEL6 and have RHEL support, I don’t have RHEL DS support.  I find the 389 community generally excellent.  I have been trying to keep to what’s available in the repo but, as it would appear, I am now going to have to go with what’s available by source.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what's available in the repo" vs. "what's
available by source".

> So, if I go with the source route for maintenance… should I move from the 1.2.11 line to 1.3.1?  I am not sure I fully appreciate the differences.

In general, I would suggest don't upgrade to a new major version unless
you absolutely need to.

> I get the sense 1.3.1 is where the current effort is really at and 1.2.11 is in maintenance, but I could be all wrong.

Yes.  I guess you could consider 1.2.11 is definitely in maintenance
mode - only critical fixes will go into 1.2.11, almost no new features.
1.3.1 could be considered "stable".  The real effort from the dev side
is in 1.3.2 and later.