[389-users] 1.2.11.29 prediction?

Michael Gettes gettes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 15:30:25 UTC 2014

On Apr 3, 2014, at 11:13 AM, Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/03/2014 08:53 AM, Michael Gettes wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I recognize 389 is a community project and asking for timelines can be problematic.  Right now, I am sorta stuck between a rock and a hard place.  In production, I am on 1.2.11.15 which has problems that are fixed by 1.2.11.28.  I have 1.2.11.28 in test and fixes all my prod problems but introduces a new problem which makes it rather difficult to manage the environment and it would appear this will be corrected in 1.2.11.29.
>
> What is the new problem?

The new problem is what I reported in 47758 which crashes my master servers using the console.  the ticket got closed out as a duplicate as you guys understand the problem and it would appear it will be corrected in .29.

> Note that for EL6, you should really use the version provided by the OS.  The "epel6" packages are really for "bleeding edge" testing of new features/patches.  However, if there is some feature in the "epel6" packages that you require, that is not in the OS packages, then I guess you'll just have to keep using the "epel6" packages indefinitely.

ok.

>> So, I am a little curious as to when we might see 29.  I do see on the roadmap 29 has 4 closed and 5 active but no date set.
>>
>> I’m wondering if anyone would want to out on a limb and guesstimate - are we thinking days or a couple of weeks or several weeks or any estimate would be so appreciated.  No, I will not hold anyone to anything - I can’t.  I’m just trying to gauge things for internal planning estimates recognizing I have no control over this process.  (yeah, i know, so why bother?  cuz, i have to try).
>>
>> Lastly, although I am on RHEL6 and have RHEL support, I don’t have RHEL DS support.  I find the 389 community generally excellent.  I have been trying to keep to what’s available in the repo but, as it would appear, I am now going to have to go with what’s available by source.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "what's available in the repo" vs. "what's available by source”.

ya know, i am not really sure either.  but you’re response reinforces in my mind that something weird is going on here and i have to have a chat with my sysadmins as to why i am not seeing what i should be seeing in the EPEL repos - we have firewall stuff means I am not in full control of how i get stuff.  OR, i just go with source for 29 when it comes out and wait for the OS dist to catch up.  That might be the path of least resistance, but i think i still need to resolve my EPEL issues with my sysadmins.

>> So, if I go with the source route for maintenance… should I move from the 1.2.11 line to 1.3.1?  I am not sure I fully appreciate the differences.
>
> In general, I would suggest don't upgrade to a new major version unless you absolutely need to.

so with this advice, i am reading i should stay on the 1.2.11 line and fix my EPEL issues.

THANK YOU!

/mrg