[389-users] Failed to send extended operation: LDAP error -1 (Can't contact LDAP server)

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon May 5 16:24:57 UTC 2014

On 05/05/2014 10:13 AM, Graham Leggett wrote:

>>> This bug looks quite consistent with the OP's symptoms and the presence of a large group entry, but he should be seeing "Incoming BER Element was too long" in the consumer log (don't think I saw that in any of the log snippets posted..).
>> The consumer access log should have a closed - B2 message if this is the problem.
> All three servers have what seems to be unlimited bersize values:
>
> nsslapd-maxbersize: 0
>
> I am at a loss as to what exactly is triggering this, what I do know is:
>
> - Any attempt by the supplier servera to initialize the serverc supplier results in complete destruction of any existing data in serverc.
Correct.  That is the expected behavior.
> - The point at which the initilization dies is six seconds after an attempt is made to synchronize a group containing 21000 uniqueMembers over a slower link than servera and serverb.

Please find the corresponding access log excerpts from around this time
in the consumer access log.

> - Attempts to synchronise serverc using a manual export of ldif from servera makes no difference, the servers refuse to sync with one another.

I think the problem is this:

[05/May/2014:17:34:41 +0200] - import userRoot: WARNING: Skipping entry "nsuniqueid=ffffffff-ffffffff-ffffffff-ffffffff,o=Foo,c=ZA" which has no parent, ending at line 18 of file "/tmp/replica.ldif"

Does the consumer have a suffix o=Foo,c=ZA, with its own database, and
with its own cn=replica entry?

> Has this been recently confirmed to work?
Yes.