[389-users] Failed to send extended operation: LDAP error -1 (Can't contact LDAP server)

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Mon May 5 18:07:17 UTC 2014

On 5 May 2014, at 17:57, Mark Reynolds <mareynol at redhat.com> wrote:

>> You're kidding. Zero actually means 2MB. Intuitive.
> I agree, I don't think we should even allow "0" as a valid value, but
> then again that's what the docs are for.

That's what the principal of least astonishment is for.

> I understand your frustration.  Not that it helps now, but this logging
> has been fixed/improved.  However, it's not in the version you are
> running(1.2.11) - it's in 1.3.1 and up.

You mean to say this issue was entirely avoidable had the fix been backported to the version that real people with real servers actually use?

I recognise that 389ds is corporate code written by Netscape ages ago, and I have contributed back a whole lot of the same kind of fixes to the NSS project that also suffers from the same dire error handling.

Short of security fixes fixing broken error handling is probably the most important change anyone can make to code.

Regards,
Graham