[389-users] Failed to send extended operation: LDAP error -1 (Can't contact LDAP server)

Mark Reynolds mareynol at redhat.com
Mon May 5 16:57:18 UTC 2014

On 05/05/2014 12:46 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 05 May 2014, at 6:18 PM, Mark Reynolds <mareynol at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>>> nsslapd-maxbersize: 0
>> 0 tells the server to use the default value of 2mb, you need to set it
>> higher(5mb?).
> You're kidding. Zero actually means 2MB. Intuitive.
I agree, I don't think we should even allow "0" as a valid value, but
then again that's what the docs are for.

> I double checked servera and serverb, both have these set as follows:
>
> nsslapd-maxbersize: 2147483647
>
> Changing serverc from 0 to 2147483647 and reinitializing, and suddenly it replicates.
>
>> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Configuration_Command_and_File_Reference/Core_Server_Configuration_Reference.html#cnconfig
>> (search for maxber)
> Had I got a clear error message pointing me at maxber I probably would have figured this out, but the silent failure with no explanation sent me on a two-and-a-half-day wild goose chase. :(
I understand your frustration.  Not that it helps now, but this logging
has been fixed/improved.  However, it's not in the version you are
running(1.2.11) - it's in 1.3.1 and up.

Regards,
Mark