[389-users] LDAP allows null bases

Ludwig Krispenz lkrispen at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 14:31:52 UTC 2015

On 03/11/2015 03:04 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Ludwig Krispenz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in my opinion this is not a security issue, but a feature compliant to
>> the ldap rfcs. A server should expose a minimal set of information about
>> itself, eg supported controls, saslmechanisms, namingcontexts even to
>> anonymous users - and many applications rely on this.
>> If you really want to turn this off, you need to modify the aci for the
>> "dn:" entry
> He might also want to look at nsslapd-allow-anonymous-access to disable
> all anonymous access to the server. I agree that being able to read the
> rootDSE probably isn't a big deal.
In RFC 4513 it explicitely states:

LDAP servers SHOULD allow all clients --
    even those with an anonymous authorization -- to retrieve the
    'supportedSASLMechanisms' attribute of the root DSE both before and
    after the SASL authentication exchange.  The purpose of the latter is
    to allow the client to detect possible downgrade attacks (see Section
    6.4 and [RFC4422], Section 6.1.2).

> rob
>
>> Ludwig
>>
>> On 03/11/2015 11:23 AM, Kay Cee wrote:
>>> All clients connecting to our 389-ds server showed up this
>>> vulnerability on the scan. How do I fix this on my 389-ds server?
>>>
>>> LDAP allows null bases
>>>
>>> Risk:High
>>> Application:ldap
>>> Port:389