[fab] Tinymail, Dates and Contacts

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 11 21:04:13 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Friday 11 August 2006 16:54, Rahul wrote:
>> With all the discussion earlier on Evolution
>> (http://lwn.net/Articles/179628/), one of the potential alternatives
>> suggestion was a combination of Tinymail+Dates+Contacts. They use the
>> E-D-S backend, throw away Bonobo in favor of D-Bus and is much smaller
>> and modular.
>>
>> http://tinymail.org/
>> http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/04/2158214
>>
>> Maybe we need to look at as a potential default for future Fedora
>> releases beyond FC6.
>
> Contacts is already in Extras, I need to do an SVN snapshot to get some new
> stability and fixes for new EDS.
>
> I'm on the tinymail list and there isn't anything there yet that's suitable to
> package up, I've talked w/ the author about it.

I believe you are referring to the conversation in
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/tinymail-devel-list/2006-April/msg00002.html

Its been a few months after that and the mail does indicate that we
could indeed package a CVS snapshot or something atleast for
extras-devel. We dont have to care about API compatibility at this stage.

> Dates, I haven't looked into yet, but would be happy to package it up for
> Extras.

 From what I heard, its not very mature yet but these three components
can work with each other. So yeah, I would like to see it in extras too.

Rahul