F7 Plan (draft)

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Wed Dec 20 16:43:01 UTC 2006

> > Does this include being able to replace pilgrim for what we're using for
> > OLPC today?  No is a fine answer, but I'm just trying to plan.
>
> I'm going to say probably not.  I have enough on my plate to get F7 out the
> door, and I really pictured pungi to be a tool to create the CD/DVD/Install
> Tree for Fedora releases.  Adding more functionality or different outputs
> will make the code more and more complex, and make it more difficult to flow
> with anaconda and distribution changes.  Perhaps part of pungi could be used
> by pilgrim, pungi provides a pypungi python object, with a gather class for
> finding, depsolving, and downloading packages from given repos provided a
> package manifest.  That might be useful to pilgrim.

We really really want to do daily livecd spins of our Desktop variant
not at least because they're extremely useful for testing rawhide. One
upcoming livecd feature is the ability to PXE boot the livecd image,
(wget the .iso file) and run the system entirely from RAM. That is a
feature that the QA guys here at Red Hat is very interested in and it's
not very hard to do.

And I think all that this entails is just running the livecd build tools
pointing at the repositories that is the output of the daily compose.
I've got the livecd tools end of this covered, am going to submit it to
Extras real soon now. I'd be surprised if it would be hard to plug into
the daily compose.

      David