[fab] Legal contact policy and incentives for contributors

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Thu Jul 13 07:30:46 UTC 2006

On Thursday 13 July 2006 01:41, Rahul <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > There are two reasons we haven't already done this:
> >
> > 1.  We have to use manual redirects.  Because of the way the site is
> > currently set up, we can't use automatic redirects.  This would be an
> > ugly way to greet fedora.redhat.com visitors.
>
> I dont really consider the current spartan pages a much better user
> experience and we are doing redundant work. We already know that
> fedora.redhat.com is not easily changed either.

The pages on fedora.redhat.com are current, and that's a better way to greet
visitors than a "This page has moved..." page.  fedora.redhat.com is also our
current home for static content, and there's not much reason in trying to
disable it when some pieces, like /docs, can't yet be moved.

> > 2.  We want static content that is separate from the wiki.  The Plone
> > site is intended to provide this.  Once the Plone site is up and running,
> > we'll make fedora.redhat.com completely obsolete.  At that point, we
> > might even be able to move to a different system for fedora.redhat.com
> > that would allow automatic redirects to the equivalent Plone pages.
>
> I dont see how 1. is related to 2.  What we need is a way to setup
> automatic redirects. If we dont have a way to do that, redirecting users
> to a wiki page manually is no different from redirecting users to a
> plone page. The usage of plone in fedoraproject.org doesnt provide us
> any benefits or change in setting redirects in fedora.redhat.com.

I never said the two points were related.  ;-)

Yes, we need a way to set up automatic redirects, but automatic redirects are
not compatible with the current fedora.redhat.com infrastructure.  Once
fedora.redhat.com doesn't need to serve *any* of the current content,
including /docs, we can break it in whatever ways are needed to move it to an
alternative system and get automatic redirects in place for everything.

Whether we have automatic redirects or not, we will not get rid of our static
content, point users to a wiki location, recreate our static content, and
create an additional redirect from the wiki to that new static content.  The
static content will be permanently housed on the Plone site, and we don't
want to redirect users anywhere until we can redirect them there.

I'll admit that the current state of fedora.redhat.com isn't ideal, but it
already points to the wiki for most purposes, and keeping just like it is
until we can move in our better technological solutions isn't going to hurt
anything.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com