[fab] New project formation is out of control

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Wed Jun 7 21:55:25 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 14:32, Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:

> Comments:
>
> 1. I continue to assert that there are only two meaningful kinds of
> project: incubators/SIGs/whatever, and full-fledged projects.  Why
> distinguish between "ideas" and "incubator projects"?  Why does someone
> need "a plan of action" to "graduate" to incubator status?  What's wrong
> with having 2000 incubator projects, 1500 of which overlap?

A summary and a plan of action really aren't much to ask for, and the biggest
reason for doing so is to avoid having to create and maintain 2000 wiki pages
and 2000 new mailing lists that might not do anything.  We've had a number of
people throw out an idea, give it no further thought and start requesting
mailing lists and assorted other resources or privileges, and that can put a
strain on the people who can provide those things.  If someone can't
formulate a basic summary and plan, why should the rest of us put forth the
time and effort to give them resources?

Differentiating between an idea and an incubator project gives us the
opportunity to say "these are the things you have to show us if you want us
to set stuff up for you."

> 2. The statement that Fedora Ambassadors is a sub-project of Fedora
> Marketing implies that there's a functioning Fedora Marketing Project, and
> that it's official.  Is this so?  Who's the chair of the Fedora Marketing
> Project?  Who's the steering committee?  When does it meet?  What is its
> purpose?

Originally, the Ambassadors program was started as a sub-project of Marketing,
and Marketing had a bit more life at that time.  While its current status can
be disputed, it was the first example I thought of.  Alternative examples are
welcome.  :-)

(On a side-note, Marketing as a whole really ought to be revived to support
and coordinate some of the smaller programs that have appeared under its
umbrella.)

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com