FESCo future

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Mon Nov 27 19:07:17 UTC 2006

Josh Boyer wrote:

> You could prevent that by requiring all buildsys and repo storage bits
> be owned by someone other than RH.  Including the netapp hosting, and
> domains, etc.
>
> Would be expensive, but then they have no recourse for "pulling it off
> the wire" because they don't own the wire.

I want to get to a world where the buildsys and repo storage bits are
hosted with Red Hat only for convenience and reliability.  Not control.
  That's part of this process.  Push all the packages outside of the
firewall, get the buildsystems out there, let people contribute buildsys
"bandwith", give lesser arches their own way forward, etc.  It's all
down that path to moving RH to a 1st tier contributor, nothing more.

However, I will note that "pulling something off the wire" is often done
for sound legal reasons, not for biz reasons.  Everyone involved in this
discussion should be clearly delineating between the two.

--Chris