codec buddy pain

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 5 21:52:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 16:31 -0500, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> > You mean more sensible than www.fedoraproject.org/CodecBuddy ?
> > I really don't get it; that page was written by board people, in
> > response to feedback from the board. What more do you want ?
>
> Maybe /me needs to stop talking out of his ass, and look at how CodecBuddy
> is actually working.  :/

- load totem
- attempt to open an mp3
- get taken to a popup window that mentions the evils of patents,
briefly
- get prompted to install the mp3 decoder and/or buy a full system of
decoder/encoders for mp3s

or
- load totem
- attempt to open a wmv file
- get taken to a popup window that mentions the evils of
patents/formats, briefly
- get prompted to buy some codecs from fluendo
- click on some you want
- get taken to fluendo's website to buy them

You can see it for yourself here:
http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/hidden/codeina/

-sv