Fedora TV, the video quandary, and a request for advice (fwd)

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Wed Apr 2 21:23:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:
>  3. The "one-click download" implies that there must be a centralized *and
> robust* hosting environment for these videos.  We should have confidence
> that any such hosting environment isn't likely to "go away" -- the trap we
> fell into with Lulu.tv.

Unless you're using one of the super-established providers (archive,
youtube, etc.) or roll your own, you can't really get this level of
certainty (as you found out at lulu.tv.)

You might look at http://www.getmiro.com/create/ - miro has publishing
tools; not sure how open they are (nor whether they handle transcoding
or web presentation by default.)

>  5. It must be easy to let the Fedora community know when new videos are
> available, whether through RSS, some screenscraping app, or other means. An
> aggregated feed like "videos.fedoraproject.org" might be ideal.

Miro handles this pretty darn well.

>  b. blip.tv.  They support Ogg Theora as an upload format, but I was unable
> to get Ogg Theora to *download* properly -- I keep requesting the Theora
> file and getting the Flash transcoded file instead.  Maybe someone can
> figure out how to make this work.

I can't even see where it is offered, which is a shame.

>  d. Miro.  Maybe this is the way to go.  It's packaged in Fedora, so maybe
> it's worth having a handful of people set up a Miro channel and seed the
> content. We could use some server space in fp.o as seed space, I would
> think.  I have yet to play with Miro personally, though.

Note that last time I tried to install Miro on Fedora, it was broken;
all the default videos are in non-free codecs so Miro itself ran but
no video worked (and I seem to recall it failed badly.) Have not tried
it of late, though.

Luis