Fedora TV, the video quandary, and a request for advice (fwd)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 21:33:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:

> Note that last time I tried to install Miro on Fedora, it was broken;
> all the default videos are in non-free codecs so Miro itself ran but
> no video worked (and I seem to recall it failed badly.) Have not tried
> it of late, though.

of course all the non-default videos are in non-free codecs... major
publishers aren't using free codecs. So its a classic chicken and egg
problem. We have to pretend we are an open technology version of Sony and
create demand for our open technology by getting out and front and producing
our own content or paying for the production of content that uses the
technology we are pushing. We've no hope of making things better unless the
people who care about openly encoded a/v get out ahead and start producing
content showcasing the tech.

-jef"pitivi for the win"spaleta