Fedora Remix definition

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Tue Dec 30 17:10:35 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-30 at 09:56 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to create some Fedora Remixes and I'm not quite sure whether
> it is one or not (in the trademark sense). I know it's been discussed
> a lot, but I see some contradictions:

Hi Axel,

As the board worked through the trademark guidelines, we scoped down two
terms: "spin" and "remix". Here's the difference:

- A Spin consists only of packages from the Fedora repositories. It is
trademark-approved by the board and has gone through the Spins process
(which is being refined by fesco). People using a spin can have the same
confidence in license freedom as Fedora distribution users -- in fact,
the main Fedora distribution images are effectively a spin too. The
official Fedora logo may be used in conjunction with spins.

- A Remix consists of packages from the Fedora repositories but may also
contain other packages. It does not require trademark approval and does
not have to go through the spins process. Anyone can produce a remix at
any time without any formal process. The Fedora Remix "secondary mark"
may be used on Remixes, providing some really simple guidelines are
followed.

I hope this helps clarify the situation. As soon as the trademark
guidelines and Spins process are finalized (and we're pretty much
there), we'll start pumping the message about these terms.

Paul and Spot have been driving this process -- here are the relevant
pages:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/New_trademark_guidelines
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/Secondary_trademark_usage_guidelines

-Chris