Fedora Remix definition

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Dec 30 10:52:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 09:56:20AM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Remix says
>
>      The "Fedora Remix" mark identifies a derivation of software that is
>      not produced or maintained by the Fedora Project. It may contain some
>      software that is produced or maintained by the Fedora
>      Project. [...] It can also be combined with other, non-Fedora
>      software to produce interesting and compelling products. A Fedora
>      Remix product may contain some software that is  forbidden to
>      include in Fedora itself.
>
> So I understand it that anything that includes one Fedora package is a
> remix already?

Meaning, what if another RPM-based distribution uses Fedora RPMs?

> So the first question is
>
> a) when is something *not* a remix?

Perhaps it could be explained better, but the section you [...]'ed
around is relevant:

  'Fedora is a completely free and redistributable computing platform
  that can be "remixed" into different combinations of software.'

That defines Fedora as a distro, which would seem to exclude the idea
of calling another distro that has Fedora packages in it a Fedora
Remix.

> Next I read on various other wiki pages, that a remix is a subset of
> only official Fedora packages, e.g.:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JeroenVanMeeuwen/Revisor/FedoraRebrandRemixGuidelines
>
>     Remix:: A Remix of Fedora is taking whatever amount of packages
>     from the Fedora repositories and composing media based on that
>     package set. Respin:: A Respin specifically updates existing
>     media. Note the 'updating' is the key here. Usually, a Remix will
>     include updates if they're available but that isn't the key point
>     of a Remix, but for Respins, it is. Rebrand:: A Rebrand of Fedora
>
> b) So what is correct "Remix: includes offcial Fedora packages and
>    more" or "Remix: includes only packages from a subset of offcial
>    Fedora packages"?

This second explanation under kanarip's content sandbox doesn't say
"only".  It could be clearer, though.  It is clearly a draft in his
personal space, though.

> What I'd like to do is (not always combined)
>
> o apply updates-released
> o add closed source graphics card drivers
> o add multimedia stuff
>
> Is this still a fedora remix?

Those all sound to me like a Fedora Remix.

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41