dormant bugs and our perception

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Jan 2 21:07:00 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 12:25 -0800, Elliot Lee wrote:
> . Divide & conquer. Maybe you can't get five people working steadily
> on bug triaging, but you might be able to get fifty Fedora
> contributors triaging one bug per person per week. If you could write
> a piece of infrastructure that decided which bugs needed triaging,
> it'd be easy enough to have that infrastructure send an e-mail out
> once a week to those fifty people ("Greg, Please triage bug #45678")
> and track who was actually doing their part. You may want to wash your
> hair on Fridays, but don't tell me you wouldn't be willing to triage
> one bug a week...?

One problem with this is that there tend to be a fair number of
duplicate bugs filed.  So fifty people triaging one bug a piece means
that they don't catch those duplicates and treat them as such.  Instead,
they seem them as fifty separate bug reports.

One big and important part of triaging is looking at the patterns which
appear when you look at larger numbers of bugs.  Both from the point of
view of effectively handling issues as well as from the perspective of
being able to provide information to developers as to what areas need
work

Jeremy