dormant bugs and our perception

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Jan 3 23:43:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2008 1:58 PM, John Poelstra <poelstra at redhat.com> wrote:

>> SOX and Bugzilla???  There are accounting and legal processes in bugzilla?
>> Please send a link to the SOX reg where this is outlined.
>> Maybe I should go back to being a CPA :)

> I do not know if there are not in Bugzilla.. sorry about not saying
> 'maybe'. I do remember that when SOX was getting rolled out, there had
> to be a lot of changes into the entire Red Hat build system to meet
> various tracking changes through the life of it etc.

for those coming in late, a 'quick' overview of wtf SOX is:
     http://www.mcgladrey.com/Resource_Center/Audit/Articles/ImplementingSOX_AnIntroduction.html

from tfa:
a process ... under the supervision of the principal executive
..., and effected by ... management, to provide reasonable
assurance regarding the reliability of financial reporting ...

for John Poelstra:
As you know SOX is notoriously vague as to explicit
requirements, and a cottage sub-industry in the accounting
profession has grown up, 'selling indulgences' for SOX.

connecting the dots:
The recently retired CEO of RHT commented publicly from time
to time on RHEL ship dates; the reason his comment was sought
was in part so that Wall St types could handicap the financial
prospects of the company; RHEL ship processes are partially
affected by what is in trackers, of which one is the external
bugzilla; that falls to the bottom line, and ends up in
'financial reporting' and the quarterly call which is
preceded by the filings needing the SOX level assurances.

-- Russ herrold