closing out old bugs of unmaintained releases

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 17:43:13 UTC 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 12:26 PM, John Poelstra <poelstra at redhat.com> wrote:

> let alone expect them to figure where "upstream" is and how exactly to
> get there.

Or even what "upstream" means.  That concept would be more than a
little foreign to folks who come to us from the world of proprietary
software.  We need to be very cognizant of that, and if we either file
a bug upstream or tell the reporter to (which we shouldn't IMHO), we
need to educate them on exactly what that means. Refer to the second
paragraph of the original question at [1] which caught my eye a few
months back and I'm happy I could find again, and this is a CS
student!

[1] http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/06/22/1526234