Statistics problem

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 12:29:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 07:43:01PM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I did two counts, one for DVD and Live without uniq'ing the IP
> >> addresses doing the retrievals (because there could be multiple
> >> downloads from people behind firewalls), and one with.  In both cases
> >> I think the numbers are very significantly higher than our current
> >> stats show.  The raw numbers per day since F10 release are attached.
> >
> > All those numbers in the txt use the "corrected" approach?
>
> Just to be clear.. what where the stats showing before? Just the
> unique DVD counts?

The download numbers before were using the direct download command
shown on this wiki page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics/Commands

There was at least one major problem with that command; the Fedora 10
Live ISO filenames don't start with "Fedora-10," they start with
"F10," meaning we weren't counting them *at all*.  So I've included
two counts, one for the DVD and one for the Live ISO as clicked from
the get-fedora page.  (Other spins, as far as I can tell, are done via
torrent and we're capturing those statistics from the tracker
elsewhere.)

The second problem may not be a real problem -- it's that we are
uniq-ing the IP addresses doing the downloading.  That method has the
potential to cut out legitimate, repetitive downloads from inside a
firewall.  I'd feel better cutting those ticks out if they were
separated by a very short timeframe.  Then we could be reasonably
certain they were caused by repeated clicks, rather than actual
separate downloads.  In the interest of a conservative approach, I'm
willing to stick with uniq-ing the stats, but I produced both sets of
numbers anyway.