Appointment of Board Members.

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 19:23:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 02:55:05PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 14:34 -0400, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> >  To me, it seems that FESCo has been giving
> > up a lot of its duties, responsibilities, and powers and the Board has been
> > absorbing them.
>

> I think much of that is members of the fedora community (red
> hat-employed and not red hat employed) doing the same thing.
>
> they see fesco
> they see fesco make a decision they disagree with
> they see the board override a decision fesco makes
> they conclude there is no point in talking to fesco
>

> this happens in other groups with powers that are only in place if the
> board backs them. For example the hall-monitors. When the 2nd-guessing
> started of them and the board didn't back the decisions there the group
> fell apart.
>
> that is what it is.

I agree - but I also see it as a problem.  We should either:

1) Give the power back to fesco.  Board says, that's fesco's call, not mine.

or

2) Why bother having two elected committees?  Merge the Board and FESCo and
work on what the merged body should look like in terms of transparency,
composition, and delegation.

If we're going to let devaluation of fesco's power occur we should make that
decision consciously.

-Toshio