#fedora and freenode registration

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Fri Feb 12 00:45:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:52:23 -0500
Justin O'Brien <three at threethirty.us> wrote:

> I think that this puts a barrier between users that need help and
> those who can help.  I think we should just have a couple of trigger
> happy ops and take no BS.

Well, we have reasonably good ops coverage, but it still disrupts the
channel when:

- Someone joins, spews a spam link and leaves. Sure, we can ban them
  from coming back, but doesn't help that everyone has seen this link.

- Someone comes in looking for a fight, and we have to talk with them
  and watch them derail the help others are getting for a few minutes
  before showing them the door.

When these people never appear in the channel, the people there can go
on and get support and not get distracted/sidetracked/derailed.

> Fedora as is all about the community and i dont think that we should
> build a barrier between us and potential contributors.

Well, should allow non subscribed people to post to our mailing lists
from any address? How about asking the forum folks to allow anonymous
postings and not require people to make accounts? :)

anonymous is fine in some respects, but anonymous + large audience/our
forum is not always a good thing.

kevin