Response to "Getting Fedora Out of the If-Then Loop"

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 19:51:19 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:44:25AM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > > Who said any developers were unwanted?
> > >
> > > What a logical leap!
> >
> > Not at all. All you get back here is the impression you made.
> > But i see.
>
> I can't see how I possibly could have made that impression without
> pent-up angst on the part of the reader being mixed in.
>
> The only people I see saying 'unwanted' 'pushed out' in this thread are
> the folks who are on alternate desktop spins side. I don't see that
> language being used by anyone else. I certainly didn't use it. I have no
> problem with alternative desktops. As a user experience practitioner,
> however, I have a big problem with the lack of focus we've historically
> had - it confuses potential new users and we lose them to the simplicity
> of other distros whose focus is more clear.

And as we've noted before, the point is not to cater *exclusively* to
that group, it's to make sure we are not shutting them out through
inattention.

> That being said, I along with sijis from the websites team personally
> invested a *ton* of time and effort into the spins.fedoraproject.org
> redesign to make sure our spins look just as sexy as the default
> install.

And it looks fantastic:  http://spins.fedoraproject.org

As was planned and reported here in the past several times, when the
whole redesign is finished all the sites will match this level of
awesome.  Everyone felt it was important to prioritize the spins site
*first*, not *last*.