fedora community working group

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Wed Jul 7 17:22:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 11:47 AM, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> I have to ask this: Do you honestly believe that the poisonous people we
> have in our community don't understand that what they are doing is
> harmful? Are we to believe that they've never been in common human
> society before, that fedora was their first introduction to
> working/interacting with others?
>
> I'm sorry, I don't think that's the case, they are not 'babes in the
> woods'. They are toxic and a CoC is not gonna cut it, IMO.
>
> -sv

In short I'd say yes. I think that there are, in addition to $just_bad
that there are two other classes of people that a code of conduct
would be beneficial for:
1. people who believe themselves to be trying to 'preserve' $foo about
the Fedora, and feel a need to protect the project from itself at any
means. Admittedly, I don't think that this will help the current batch
- as they would likely see this as lacking legitimacy, but in a year
or so perhaps it would.

2. people, particularly those people who are relatively new, who come
into the community with a different set of expectations around what's
acceptable, because they came from wherever and bad behavior was
acceptable there.

I don't think it's a panacea. I do think, however, that our method of
passing the culture and expectations around isn't scalable as we
continue to grow, and we honestly probably passed the point it was a
good while back.

David