Swag for FUDCons

Robert 'Bob' Jensen bob at fedoraunity.org
Mon Jul 19 19:21:39 UTC 2010

----- "David Nalley" <david at gnsa.us> wrote:

> The problem there is money.
> A LiveCD costs us (IIRC) arond 57 cents. DVDs are around 79cents.
> The cheapest bulk order of 2GB USB drives cost $5 for the really
> really cheap ones, and $7-9 for decently made units.
>
> Right now, in NA - we hand out something on the order of 6000 CD/DVDs
> per release. Even using the cheap USB drives, we'd be talking about
> $30,000 per release, just in NA. In addition, we'd likely see demand
> rise, as people realize that they can do other things with a 2GB USB
> drive that they can't with a piece of pressed media.
>
> Every release we discuss this, and it still hasn't become financially
> viable.

I think people are missing valuable points

I think they are talking about "Bring your own USB stick"

How much value is there in giving anything to $RANDOMEVENT attendee? Wouldn't it make more sense to give this money to contributors that are interested in getting something?

We hear a lot of people say things like "I have my FUDcon shirt that I wear all the time." and "Oh I have the really cool case badge from X event" What about contributors that can't get to events? When do they get something for their work with the project? My Suggestion is to quit spending all the money on events, spend some on the contributors that make Fedora. order release shirts make them available to CLA+2 contributors let them pay the postage. Near the end of the release cycle dump the remaining shirts to a couple events. Give us a chance to promote Fedora and we will. I think contributors having the chance to get something Fedora related is a much bigger bang for the buck.

-- Bob

|       Robert 'Bob' Jensen        ||       Fedora Unity Founder       |
|       bob at fedoraunity.org        ||      http://fedoraunity.org/     |
|                   http://bjensen.fedorapeople.org/                   |
|                http://blogs.fedoraunity.org/bobjensen                |
|                   http://www.facebook.com/rpjensen                   |