Updates Vision clarification / status

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 20:16:59 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 13:52, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at tummy.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:28:18 -0500 (CDT)
> Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> <not a board member but commenting anyway>
>
> Excellent. ;)
>
>> To me the quote above is a goal, not a rule.  There will be
>> exceptions, but they should be exceptions and not the norm.
>
> ok. It's hard to tell if it's an absolute or a goal.
> Clarification on that from the Board would be good.

Vision statements are generally goals, however I can see the confusion
in how this is framed. In general a vision is where you want to be at
whether the laws of physics and the universe make it possible. The
policies and procedures are the attempts of meeting the goal with
reality. When hard physics takes over then its time to clarify the
vision to less lofty levels.

>> If no one has a particular bug open and the bug fixed isn't
>> substantial, I'd sit on the update or send it to testing at most.
>
> There are bugs. All the time. :) They want it to work with device X
> thats supported in the new release. The XKCD feed handling is broken
> and they want a fix, etc.
>
> So, I should only push an update here when there is a specific bug that
> someone has filed that I know is fixed in newer version X?

I will be honest here.. we start answering things here and it would
feel like we are taking over FESCO. Which I am guessing is part of the
dance problem between the two organizations :/... we give lofty goal
like things, and you are like " bwa? did that make sense to you? me
either..."

In some ways we are both trying to be the 'legislative' body and
expecting the other to be the 'executive' (or vice versa:)) . So how
can we make this clearer and better working?

[My own take on this is that there is no way that the vision could be
an absolute rule. It can be an absolute rule over some parts and
others are just not going to work because their release cycles are
hourly/weekly versus 6 monthy. So figure out what things are good for
6 month update cycles and call it Core and then everything else call
it Extras. wait.. I think I have been here before and it wasn't
pretty.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.