Search Engine on start.fedoraproject.org

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 26 18:28:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-26 at 11:12 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > I don't think that's going to provide the best experience for the user
> > either though. How about a start page like Chromium has that shows
> > thumbnails of your most frequently-visited websites so you can access
> > them in one click based on visual cues? I think a long time ago Bryan
> > Clark wrote a blog post about what should be in the browser window
> > when you first open it to best make users' lives easier. Actually I
> > think Colin may have written an extension for Firefox that does the
> > thumbnail thing. Why don't we get rid of start.fpo and just install
> > that extension by default?
>
> All our users don't use firefox. ;)

Firefox *is* Fedora's default web browser, though.

> I was hoping we could direct people to our support channels in
> something like a start page:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-engineering-services/ticket/17
>
> But I'm open to ideas.
>
> I suspect many/most of our users change their homepage after install to
> their igoogle page or something they use more often.
>
> I guess I would not mind seeing a page that points people to how
> to join/contribute, how to get help, and any important announcements
> from the Fedora project.

That's certainly information we would benefit from pushing out. I'm not
sure that's the most useful information to someone using Fedora, though.
Why not just point to www.fedoraproject.org which is supposed to allow
people to accomplish those things anyway (in the non-default browsers at
least), and work on making the default browser experience a better one
as suggested?

~m