question for board members

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri May 7 20:09:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, 07 May 2010 13:06:39 -0500, Jason wrote:

> MS> The issue here is that the reviewer only contributes reviews to meet
> MS> dubious requirements:
>
> Do you have a particular reviewer in mind, or are you somehow implying
> that everyone who reviews packages does so to inflate their numbers?
> Because my count was for some time right at the top of the list, and I
> can categorically state that said count made no difference at all in
> whether I chose to spend my time reviewing packages.

So in your case maybe you didn't consider your position on that list as
rewarding. Do you want to imply that no other reviewer was interested in
the increased visibility of his reviewing activities due to that list?
Or to become a packagersponsor quickly (and then move on with other
activities)?

> MS> 2) the growing queue of review requests which is considered a
> MS>    problem by some people,
>
> I consider it a problem, because we have people who have obviously done
> some work to become contributors and they deserve to at least receive
> some response to their submission.

Only if uncontrolled growth of the package collection is one of Fedora's
goals. A system where the number of packages grows faster than the number
of package maintainers. With only a fraction of the packagers doing the
reviews.

> MS> 4) the packager sponsor who is expected to sponsor new packagers
> MS>    (who in the end might not contribute what Red Hat… uhm… Fedora
> MS>    leadership is hoping for).
>
> I fail to understand what you're getting at here.  I've never felt
> pressure to sponsor anyone.  "Red Hat" or "Fedora" leadership never gave
> any demands, requirements, restrictions or hopes to me regarding
> sponsorship.

No pressure, but to grow, to grow, to grow has been one of the goals. To
grow with arbitrary packages (provided they passed review), to grow with
arbitrary people (provided they found a packagersponsor to approve them).
To grow out of proportions.

> We shouldn't be afraid to dump packages from the
> distro when the maintainer goes away.  If someone really wants them,
> someone will step up to contribute them.

Well, I think not even for every package in the collection there is
somebody who really wants it. I go as far as claiming that some packages
are dumped *into* the collection.