question for board members

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri May 7 20:15:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, 7 May 2010 10:42:14 -0800
Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Did we ever develop a probational maintainership path that would make
> it easier for people who cared about orphaned packages to help with
> the workload as a means to show right-action and and packaging
> knowledge so they can gain full sponsorship?
>
> Our sponsorship process is very focused on new package submission.
> I'd really like an opportunity to work with a new contributor on
> existing packages they care about so they could be given the ability
> to do the work in our cvs and our bugzilla..but I stand up as
> accountable for tagged builds for that package. Give them 6 months or
> so working through me to prove to a sponsor review that they know what
> they are doing..but let them do the work and make mistakes but in a
> way that other people are confident won't impact users because I'm
> trusted to review their work before releasing it into publicly
> consumable trees.

Yes. Several things to note here:

A sponsor can currently sponsor anyone they think is good and able
to maintain things. The traditional route is new package submissions
and pre-reviews, but they can use any other means they like to decide
this.

See https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/108 and
https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/275. These are pending implementation.
Basically this adds a 'any packager can commit to my package', updates
the guidelines to specifically show another path to maintainership is
to contact an existing maintainer, they contact a sponsor and that
sponsor sponsors the new person in so they can co-maintain and be
mentored by the maintainer.

kevin