[Ambassadors] Red Hat's investments (was Re: Going passive)

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 23:02:24 UTC 2010

On 11/10/2010 10:37 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On 11/10/10 2:32 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> My gut feeling is telling me we have started to sacrifice quality of
>> package and it's maintainer for quantity of packages and maintainers
>>
>> Actually this problem is 2 sided
>>
>> We need to improve maintainers communication ( no response ) with
>> reporters and we need to improve reporters response to maintainers (
>> needinfo ).
>>
>> The triage way has proven not to work ( stock response later automatic
>> response ). stamped tried and tested...
> I think this is simply a case of spending the last few years making it
> easy to find and file bugs, while we haven't spent a whole lot of time
> making it easier to /fix/ those bugs.  We've added QA, we've grown a
> community around testing, we've grown a community around making those
> bugs have proper info and are filed in the right place, but I don't see
> a growth in the community of people who can actually /fix/ these bugs.
>
> I also agree that we have a growth of maintainers who do not possess the
> ability to fix bugs in the software they are maintaining.  We've never
> made that a requirement for being a packager in Fedora.
>
> I urge you to take some of this frustration energy and put it toward
> efforts to grow a bug /fixing/ community, because we sure could use one.

This is something FPC or FESCO needs to deal with..

They could make the decision that packagers need to at least show that
they have their own bugzilla account and are part of or in good
communication with the upstream community before they get their package
accepted in Fedora?

Maintainers stop being so possessive about their components and reach
out and help each other out? ( better collaboration between maintainers )

Reach out to students project?

These are the only ideas I can come up with.

Have to admit not much help from me here.

JBG