[Ambassadors] Red Hat's investments (was Re: Going passive)

Max Spevack mspevack at fedoraproject.org
Sat Nov 27 23:16:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>> 5. Hold Redhatters and non-Redhatters alike responsible for their
>> words.  I think there's a perception, fair or not, that Redhatters
>> get away with more.
>
> I'd expect that Red Hat employees would be more likely to behave
> because their employer has leverage over them and incentive to get its
> employees to behave to help the project.
>
> Anyway, I'd rather see language where 'Red Hat' doesn't appear at all
> in the enforcement guidelines.

My concern is that you don't want to end up with a potential double
standard where a Red Hatter who is paid to work on Fedora "gets away"
with something because of their paid job responsibilities.  "You can't
kick me off this list or out of this piece of the project!  It's my job
to be here!"

It's for that reason that I have always believed and said that the Red
Hatters who participate in Fedora (whether they do so 10% of their paid
time or 100% of their paid time) have a responsibility to act
professionally and courteously at all times, regardless of what is going
on.  And that should be enforced by their managers, and their
performance should (in part) be determined based on how they conduct
themselves in public communities.

Red Hatters have a responsibility to not put Fedora's leadership into an
awkward position.

--Max