Proposal for the new Fedora Project

Gerard Braad gbraad at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 1 09:12:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> Why running MeeGo TV UX on Fedora? MeeGo core comes from Fedora and always will
> be better optimized for embedded use cases.

I am aware of this and just wanted to show another thing: Fedora
should be about a broad view of device support (platforms and
form-factors). At the moment it is a desktop focus, but moved beyond
that since RedHat told the world their RHEL would be based on this
codebase and more recently since Moblin used Fedora as their core. Why
could Fedora not be used for an embedded use-case? What is the Mini
SIG, ARM SIG and MIPS SIG trying to do?

Fedora could for instance become your view of social services for a
community. We might develop them for our own community, but may well
be usable for others. A moksha view of your friends, their last status
and presence... the weather in their region, all from your
TV/desktop/web view, interact with them, etc.

It is also advised to look at the Panel Discussion - Death of the
Desktop @ COSSFest 2010, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQzZVP1mua0 in
which Aaron Seigo makes some nice statements about moving to this
HTML5 view is far from ideal.

Gerard

--
Gerard Braad — 吉拉德