December 2010 Fedora Election Plan

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Wed Oct 20 23:37:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 17:05 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 16:11 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> > It's an Americanism. In the US, one can say odd things like "bi-annual",
> > "next week", "shelved", etc. etc. etc. that are ambiguous and weirdly
> > construed by others :) I would say "semi-annual" is better globally.
>
> Okay in that case I'd rather say, "twice annually" because saying
> "semi-annual" in the US I think is kind of confusing. E.g., the
> Victoria's Secret semi-annual sale (sorry it's the only one I could
> think of) happens more than 2 times during a year.

I suppose there's no good way to shorten it, so yea "twice annually" is
the least ambiguous. And it's not a "mistake", because that's how it's
said in this country. I rarely find I go a day without running up
against something like this, and in fact was talking to another Brit who
teaches at BU the other day about all manner of confusing things one
hears that sound like English, but not the kind we grew up with ;)

Jon.