Using Fedora Linux, using a usage restricted trademark?

Paul Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 12:13:55 UTC 2010

Sascha,

Your questions below are best directed to the legal list:

But I'll tell you my understanding.

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 7:53 AM, Sascha Thomas Spreitzer
<sspreitzer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> That piece of text ("Copyright (C) 2010 Fedora Project") is in error
>> and has been removed -- thanks for alerting us to it Sascha. I'm not
>> sure whether I understand the rest of your statement here completely,
>> but as far as I know (IANAL), this error notwithstanding, Fedora
>> continues to have no restrictions on use.
>
> Thanks Paul,
>
> ( IANAL )
>
> Items I feel missing here:
>
> - Who ( jursitic/natural person) is the agreement offering party?

Red Hat, as stated in the first paragraph, and as the original
distributor of Fedora.

> - Red Hat's trademark guidelines are online?

Yes.

> Is there an offline copy
> included and referenced to on the Fedora media?

There are appropriate references in the documentation for the
fedora-logos package (/usr/share/doc/fedora-logos-*/COPYING) which
contains all uses of the Fedora trademark in the product.

> --> with the last statement and license guidelines not included in the
> media, all offline installations are not subject to fullfill the
> trademark guidelines?
> ---> ( because guidelines not in force for being unavailable to the
> contract party. see last statement "...shall not affect the
> enforceability of the remaining provisions...")

The premise is incorrect, see above.  Even if it weren't, I doubt this follows.

> - Does it meet Fedoras license guidelines?
> --> Is it (free as in) freedom compatible?
>
> Can one dispute the board for releasing licenses/agreements against
> Fedora Projects core-beliefs/statutes/foundations?

They aren't, and I'm having trouble understanding your motivations
here, Sascha. The Fedora Project, including the Board, whose
membership has included people from across the community over the
years, has always been not only dedicated to Fedora's core beliefs. We
also receive timely and effective legal counsel that helps us ensure
we meet (and hopefully exceed) our obligations to our contributors,
users, and the public at large in a way that fits our values.

What is the goal you are trying to attain here?

Paul