[Ambassadors] Formal request for approval of the multi-desktop DVD (Re: Board meeting recap, 2010 10-18)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 21 13:12:32 UTC 2010

Am Dienstag, den 19.10.2010, 10:22 -0400 schrieb Máirín Duffy:
> On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 09:03 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > > Some questions with my UX designer cap on:
>
> There are a lot of questions I asked that you haven't answered.

I'm sorry, I was on the train and I had to leave, therefor I finished
the mail after your first question. I felt I had answered them all,
because most of your questions were based on the false assumption that
dual layer was dual sided.

Anyway, for the record here is the rest:

> - For the dual layer, how do you intend to help users understand which
> side is which? (I'm guessing one side of the dual-layer is 32-bit, the
> other 64-bit?)

Dual layer is not dual sided. It's like any other media we distribute.

> - Does the manufacturer have a way of labeling the full center plastic
> ring or is it only just a narrow strip as with the SUSE discs?

Dual layer is not dual sided. One side will be labeled full.

> - If only a thin plastic ring is available, do you have any idea from
> the manufacturer on the character length limits of the label and a
> draft of what you would have it say for each side? How about character
> length limits for a wider center label?

Dual layer is not dual sided. It's like any other media we distribute.

> - Are these going to be provided in a printed sleeve? If so, do you
> have any mockups/designs/copy for the sleeve?

If we get the approval, we can do this within an hour. Remember, we
already had to do it for the Xfce and LXDE spins as the design team did
not help us.

> - What style sleeve - cardboard pocket or one with a plastic ring?

Cardboard pocket. Like any other media we distribute.

> It seems since it would be printed dual-layer, it would be difficult
> provide a good label for the disc making the sleeve design even more
> critical for identifying the disc and instructing users on how to use
> it.

Dual layer is not dual sided. It's like any other media we distribute.

> I was
> wondering if you could look them over and let me know. Thanks.

There are also a lot of questions from me to you or the board meanwhile.
Can you look over them? And another one is still to come: If you have so
many questions and concerns, why didn't you speak up during the board
meeting? (This goes for other board members too of course)

As I already said to Jesse: It seems the board is setting way higher
standards for testing or QA and has way more concerns for artwork or
infrastructure than for any other spin that was ever approved. To me and
many other ambassadors this looks as if the board is trying to
anticipate our volunteer work.

Regards,
Christoph