Formal request for approval of the multi-desktop DVD (Re: Board meeting recap, 2010 10-18)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 22 08:16:36 UTC 2010

Am Donnerstag, den 21.10.2010, 22:01 -0600 schrieb Stephen John
Smoogen:
> Now that is done, can we get to the general issue.. what are we going to do.
>
> A) It is given this is a project that release engineering, spins, and
> qa needed to be apprised of in August/September and should have been
> on the spins system back at final feature readiness.

By definition it is not a spin and nether a feature, therefor the
spins/feature schedule does not apply. It is just a media for
distribution by the ambassadors and we did follow the schedule for media
production - at least until we got delayed by one or the other Fedora
body.

> It does not
> matter if its a 5 line patch, it is asking a bunch of people already
> overloaded for yet another last minute hail-mary from some other
> group.

The ambassadors can take care of everything, it only affects two other
groups:
Infrastructure needs to host (not mirror) it.
The board needs to approve it.

> B) This is something that various ambassadors have been working on and
> thought it would be a great way to show off various other groups work.
> It may turn out to be a great showcase for F14.

+1

> C) This is really not a separate spin IF none of the sub-spins are
> changed from their final F14 products. It is more like a special remix
> of spins.

+1

> I think that if C is true, then we can work out a way through this cruft.
> I) Releng and QA are only going to be testing/validating the
> sub-spins. They will not be working on this remix beyond anything they
> want to volunteer.

They don't *need* to test/validate anything, this has already been taken
care of by the individual spins or the ambassadors.

> II) The Board will be giving approval for the use of trademarks in
> this 'special remix' on the boot menu and that this is a product that
> Fedora Ambassadors canl hand out or 'burning' to USB keys as
> 'officially sanctioned Fedora material'.

Well, *hopefully* the board will approve it. So far they haven't and it
will be at least one more week until they do.

> III) The whole spins, spin of spins, live media, etc will be revisited
> and reworked in to the F15/F16 time frames by FESCO and the Board.

+1. I hope this time the board involves the spins SIG and the spin owner
better than last time when they redefined our target audience.

Regards,
Christoph