Trademark defense -- you can help!

Pamela Chestek pchestek at
Thu Sep 2 14:19:19 UTC 2010

  Bruno Wolff III wrote on 09/02/2010 08:59 AM:
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 11:03:59 -0400,
>    Pamela Chestek<pchestek at>  wrote:
>>    Bruno Wolff III wrote on 09/01/2010 12:02 AM:
>>> OK. I have found a DVD with a volume label of "FC 6 update20061216 i386 DVD".
>>> It appears to be an install DVD, but I am not sure exactly how I made it.
>>> I also have a CD with a FC6 rescue image on it.
>>> Neither has any date written on it, so I don't know when they were burned.
>>> The update DVD at least has dates preceding 2007 as part of the meta data
>>> for the files on it. I don't know if that helps though.
>> Would the word "Fedora" or logo be shown when the disk is installed?  We
>> may be able to use screenshots.
> Yes the word Fedora is shown (very prominently) during the boot. The is even
> a trademark symbol to go along with it.
> I think you can get these ISOs from archives and look at what they do.
> For the most part I don't have dates written on my CDs and DVDs, so I don't
> know that my physical copies are better than what you can get form some
> official archive. But if you want my physical copies it would be possible
> to send them to you guys.
It's a good point that the archive ISO's should have good dates.  I am
also told, though, that evidence from Red Hat directly is less reliable
because it would be easy for us to modify the dates.  So I suspect that
a disk someone else burned, with a statement when he or she did it, may
be more convincing to the trademark board.

Once I've seen what kind of evidence we have, I will write to our
Chinese counsel to get their advice on what is good/not good, what needs
affidavits, etc.  So stay tuned.

Thanks to all for your help, you're all awesome,

Pamela S. Chestek
Senior IP Attorney
Red Hat, Inc.
1801 Varsity Drive