A proposal for your thoughts, as we plan future FUDCons...

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 18:54:23 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Matthias Kranz <matthiaskranz at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 04/11/2011 04:04 PM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>> We still use the regional money for the 2012-2013 fiscal year by
>> region, ie: 20k for bringing in folks from Europe, etc. I think we
>> could bring in a BOATLOAD (or airplane-load, I suppose) of regional
>> folks for that money.
>
> 20k $US is *NOT* much money if you want to cover costs for traveling
> back and forth from EMEA to NA.
>
> A regular flight starts at 500 $US but only if your stay includes the
> night from Sat/Sun.
>
> For 20k $US you might be able to cover for 10 people, maybe 12.

The amount depends a lot on whether its hosted at a major NA hub or
not. Tempe was closer to 1K from London and that was coming from a
major EU hub. I had to connect taking nearly 24 hours each way. For 3
days it was hellish. It also doesn't take into account APAC or other
regions where you'd likely need 3 flights. I would say 20K would be 12
max.

Where as in europe you can often get return flights to other places in
europe for a couple of 100 euros. Less depending on timing and if its
a larger hub that has more competition in flights.

I've enjoyed the two NA FUDCon's I've gone too but I'm enjoyed the two
EU one's just as much!

I wouldn't like to see them disappear. Fedora is very multi
cultural/national and I don't like the idea of it becoming more US
centric.

Peter