A proposal for your thoughts, as we plan future FUDCons...

Marcela Mašláňová mmaslano at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 11:01:36 UTC 2011

On 04/11/2011 08:29 PM, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Robyn Bergeron <rbergero at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to get feedback on a possible thought around FUDCon.  I've
>> spoken with some folks about it in passing but I think it might be
>> worthwhile to bring up as an idea for pondering.
>
> I personally think it's a terrible idea, to put it bluntly.  One of
> our stated goals for FUDCon right now is to get as many contributors
> and future contributors to the event as possible.  My biggest concern
> is that attending a "worldwide" FUDCon event (especially if you're not
> from North America) would become something that only the elite can do,
> and we wouldn't have the chance to bring in potential contributors, as
> the cost/risk would be too high. It's also difficult for many people
> to come to North America, as things like visa requirements and
> language barriers can be overwhelming.
>
> To be frank (no Beefy Miracle pun intended), I already dislike the
> fact that some people feel like they have to be at FUDCon North
> America (even if they're not from North America), as that's the FUDCon
> where "everything happens".  If anything, I'd go the other direction
> -- I would make the regional FUDCon events stronger.
>
> --
> Jared Smith
> Fedora Project Leader

I agree with Jared. The feeling "everything happens in NA FUDCon" come
from fact, that leaders of many projects are from NA, so most of
decision is happening there. Also I'm always wondering if anyone
interesting would be on non-NA events. It might be good invite Fedora
celebrities in advance, so organizers could say there will be decision
makers.

--
Marcela Mašláňová
BaseOS team Brno