A proposal for your thoughts, as we plan future FUDCons...

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Apr 12 06:01:23 UTC 2011

On 04/11/2011 09:29 PM, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>> I'd like to get feedback on a possible thought around FUDCon.  I've
>> spoken with some folks about it in passing but I think it might be
>> worthwhile to bring up as an idea for pondering.
>
> I personally think it's a terrible idea, to put it bluntly.  One of
> our stated goals for FUDCon right now is to get as many contributors
> and future contributors to the event as possible.  My biggest concern
> is that attending a "worldwide" FUDCon event (especially if you're not
> from North America) would become something that only the elite can do,
> and we wouldn't have the chance to bring in potential contributors, as
> the cost/risk would be too high. It's also difficult for many people
> to come to North America, as things like visa requirements and
> language barriers can be overwhelming.

An NA-only FUDCon and one-day regional FADs would pretty much target
only people who make a living from Fedora or around Fedora and be
prohibitive for those who are part-time contributors or new members in
the community with the potential to grow.

For trans-oceanic flight, if you are not a star you get no sponsorship
(the budget is limited after all) and for people from many parts of the
world the price is going to be a blocker.

For 1 day FADs, even if you travel in your region, we are still looking
at 2 more days spent traveling, time which you may not have if you are
employed (or is hard to get if you are not employed around Fedora/FOSS),
for a longer event is easier to justify the traveling time.

> To be frank (no Beefy Miracle pun intended), I already dislike the
> fact that some people feel like they have to be at FUDCon North
> America (even if they're not from North America), as that's the FUDCon
> where "everything happens".  If anything, I'd go the other direction
> -- I would make the regional FUDCon events stronger.

I can attest this sentiment about the NA FUDCon being the place for
"cool kids" where real decisions happen and the regional ones being
mostly a bone thrown to keep the worldwide community silent and,
honestly, the proposal we are talking here (which I heard before from
other people too) make it stronger.