fedora-it community site on Ubuntu server

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jan 11 05:52:11 UTC 2011

On 01/10/2011 05:55 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>> We want to provide stability, which does not mean constantly upgrading
>>> the server's base os.
>> But you are expecting Fedora's users to do so?
>>

> I'm fairly certain Seth isn't expecting Fedora users to use Fedora on
> their server.
>
> We have this conversation every few months.
I am well aware about this.

>  It's just about picking the
> right tool for the job.

Partially agreed - However, your answer implies that Fedora is not the
right tool for the job - I question this.

>  Too many people think that every distro should be
> used for every use case and that one distro is somehow 'better'.
That's not what I think.

I think that Linux distros (Unlike other OSes) need to be versatile
toolkits which can be deployed for various use-cases on servers as well
as on clients, on single user systems as well as on multi-user systems.

> It's just about identifying what ones needs are, and picking the best OS
> for the need.
I don't agree with this. Provided the versalitity and flexibity Linux
has (had?), to me, it's a matter of "picking a usable configuration of a
distro" and not a matter of picking "the optimal OS".

Or differently: As everywhere in life, you need to compromise between
"the optimal tool" and the tools you have/you can afford/you can operate.

That said, o me personally, RHEL is not an alternative to Fedora for
various, technical and other reasons (#1 reason: lack of man-power to
cope with "yet another distro").

> In Fedora's case we do have Fedora on some servers, but for
> most of our needs RHEL is a better fit.
Well, ... you are missing many opportunities to
demonstrate/test Fedora's suitability/identify where Fedora's design
lacks on servers.

Ralf