Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Jan 12 21:36:49 UTC 2011

On 1/12/11 1:16 PM, David Riches wrote:
> Purely out of curiosity (and my involvement in multiboot-media-
> creator) any chance of specifics where the box would not boot from the
> cd with grub, but would when it was installed?
>
> Our testing with mmc hasn't shown this behavior is all, so I would
> appreciate more info
>
> Thanks in advance

Hrm, apparently my memory is failing me.  Nobody else remembers doing
the grub on a CD test way back when, but they all seem to indicate that
it is a bad idea with grub(1), and grub2 is just too untested.

This is a case where a seemingly minor change /can/ have great impact.
All the spins on the media were tested with isolinux as their boot
loader, not with grub.  To mass produce something post-release to hand
out at shows using a boot technology that has not been tested during our
development phase (Alpha/Beta/RC) feels extremely irresponsible.  From a
releng POV I could not sign off on that, and I apologize that I'm just
now realizing you're using grub, I had assumed it was syslinux like all
the other iso offerings Fedora makes.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!