Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD

David Riches david.r at ultracar.co.uk
Wed Jan 12 22:27:15 UTC 2011

_____

From: Jesse Keating [mailto:jkeating at redhat.com]
To: Fedora community advisory board [mailto:advisory-board at lists.fedoraproject.org]
Sent: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 21:36:49 +0000
Subject: Re: Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD

On 1/12/11 1:16 PM, David Riches wrote:
  > Purely out of curiosity (and my involvement in multiboot-media-
  > creator) any chance of specifics where the box would not boot from the
  > cd with grub, but would when it was installed?
  >
  > Our testing with mmc hasn't shown this behavior is all, so I would
  > appreciate more info
  >
  > Thanks in advance

  Hrm, apparently my memory is failing me.  Nobody else remembers doing
  the grub on a CD test way back when, but they all seem to indicate that
  it is a bad idea with grub(1), and grub2 is just too untested.

  This is a case where a seemingly minor change /can/ have great impact.
  All the spins on the media were tested with isolinux as their boot
  loader, not with grub.  To mass produce something post-release to hand
  out at shows using a boot technology that has not been tested during our
  development phase (Alpha/Beta/RC) feels extremely irresponsible.  From a
  releng POV I could not sign off on that, and I apologize that I'm just
  now realizing you're using grub, I had assumed it was syslinux like all
  the other iso offerings Fedora makes.
  Thanks..

It doesn't matter too much, certainly from mmc's perspective anyway; isolinux.cfg and grub.conf aren't too dissimilar, and its not like we're trying to load different filesystem modules or anything, I just wondered why.

Grub2 is an entirely different story IMO, and probably outside of the scope of this discussion at least - but I do strongly believe that effort should be put into grub2 (its in the repos after all, just seems to have been left to gather dust)

I know Christoph has put a deal of effort into this, and I really think its a worthwhile project - so I'm happy to help moving it to isolinux if thats the case, I don't think massive amount of work need to be put in from where it is now.

Regards

Dave

  --
  Jesse Keating