The future of optical media within the project.

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Thu Jan 13 16:52:19 UTC 2011

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:42:04 +0000
"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/13/2011 02:05 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > We're not taking away DVD sized images...
>
> Correct what I'm proposing is that we drop the CD sized images (
> excluding netinst.iso ) and focus on creating a ca 1G size images (
> Targetting on 1G usb flash drive size ) instead so the *DE can
> deliver a more application richer out of the box end user experience.

I don't think the Xfce sig has any plans to move to the higher size.
Would you forbid us from making the Xfce spin stay at cd sized?

Have you talked with the Desktop sig on their plans? They started to
move to a 1GB image a while back, then reverted it. I see no reason to
force a decision on them... why not let them decide what size is best
for their offering?

> I'm even going out for a limb here and propose that we drop the
> releng DVD iso when we make this move.

How will people do upgrades? All preupgrade/yum upgrades?
How will people do installs with different needs than the live media
provides? netinstall?

One final question here... why is this going to the Board?
Isn't this a more technical detail that would be suited for FESCo to
decide? (after all, they decided to drop split cd install media, should
the Board decide that instead).

kevin