Fedora Board Recap 07-06-2011

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Wed Jul 6 20:17:26 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 03:58:10PM -0400, Richard Fontana wrote:
> I note it also goes on to say:
>
>   If Your Submission is derived from software released by Digium under
>   the GPL, Digium as licensor thereof waives such requirements of the
>   GPL as applied to that software to the limited extent necessary to
>   allow you to provide the Submission and the foregoing license to
>   Digium.
>
> I am not sure what this means but I *think* this is a way of saying
> "don't even *think* of arguing that you're licensing your
> contributions in under the GPL to us just because we licensed software
> to you under the GPL".

Indeed, that clause makes it the exact opposite of the FPCA. It
effectively says (in a way that I suspect many individual contributors
would miss) you can't deviate from the default maximal inbound
copyright license by having the gall to designate the outbound
Asterisk license as your contribution license.

- RF