Approaching one decade in the books

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 02:26:39 UTC 2012

Today I spent some time reading some of the announcements from the
past that went a long way toward shaping the project we all enjoy
today. While it can be hard to put your finger on the exact moment in
time when big ideas form, I'd like to pick a few that stand out to me
to reflect on.

On November 11, 2002 Warren Togami published the Fedora Community
Proposal v0.0.1.

http://www.owlriver.com/projects/packaging/fedora-manifesto-1.txt

On September 22, 2003 Michael K. Johnson announced the Fedora Project.

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2003-September/098440.html

On November 6, 2003 Bill Nottingham announced the release of Fedora Core 1.

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2003-November/100595.html

I could easily write many paragraphs about how inspiring I find these
short documents (and the drama surrounding them). While short in
length, they are full of big ideas, determination, and results.

<--- About 16 paragraphs removed to spare everyone still willing to
read my email. --->

I plan to do something special on the 10th anniversary of each of
these days to celebrate the vision and accomplishments of those who
created the Fedora Community, the Fedora Project, and the Fedora
Distribution. I don't know what I am going to do but it will be
something fun and I hope the rest of the community will join me in
finding some way to let those who did the hard work before us know we
appreciate what they did for us.

This Project was built with BIG IDEAS and if you have BIG IDEAS for
the future now is a good time to start making them happen.

John